Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Pope Puts Faith In Carbon Dating

I had to laugh at this:

"Scientific tests prove bones housed in the Basilica of St. Paul in Rome are those of the apostle St. Paul himself, according to Pope Benedict XVI."

So, let me get this straight, when it supports your view, you're all for science, but if it questions your beliefs, well then, hold on a second. No, no no, that fossil cannot possibly be that old, your "science" is bunk, but, hey, how about you try that carbon dating thing on these old bones of ours... Of course, maybe my view has been conditioned by society, maybe even my conditioning has been conditioned.

The quote is actually the lead in from CNN.com's article. Here are the next few lines

"Tiny fragments of bone" in the sarcophagus were subjected to carbon dating, showing they "belong to someone who lived in the first or second century," the pope said in a homily carried on Italian television.

"This seems to confirm the unanimous and undisputed tradition that these are the mortal remains of the Apostle St. Paul," Benedict said in Sunday's announcement.

Well that's a big jump. The remains are from somewhere between the year 1 and 200ish, so then it must beeeeeee, Bob.

Now, I don't know what the actual quote was, but all that splicing makes me wonder if CNN is manipulating the "news" since the article never actually quotes the pope validating carbon dating. Of course maybe the Pope was just rambling and CNN just wanted to connect the dots for me before I fell asleee.......

Just for fun, a link to the FSM:

No comments:

Post a Comment