Friday, January 16, 2009

Movie Review


So we just finished watching this movie, The Women. Well, actually, I finished watching it as Laura is asleep. No, I don't know why I continued watching, because it is exactly what you'd expect from the title. It was like being trapped in...in a...I'm not sure I can say without finding myself in trouble. Yes, I know, wa-Pah, as Chandler Bing would say.


Anyhoo...So the movie has no men in it. At all. In the street scenes, all women. In the restaurant, all women. Pictures, women. Department store, well obviously... Even the dogs are female. No men, not even voices. Hospital, all women. Maybe this was part of their marketing when it was released in theaters (which also probably only had women in them), but I never heard of it before until Laura saw it at Blockbuster and said, "Hey, I like those women. We should rent that." Even the statues, women.


So I guess if you are still reading this, then you might want to know if the movie is any good. Outside of watching to see if there were any actual men in the movie, there really isn't much left. It's similar to Sex and the City, without any humor or depth. Not that Sex and the City had much depth, but comparatively speaking... (wow, I like the ellipses, don't I?) For instance, one character explaining the benefits of being a lesbian says that when they are lost, get this, they both ask for directions - Well, smack my ass and call me Judy, that is funny! Oh, and when they are watching TV, they watch the whole show all the way through without changing channels. Tears of laughter! (Yes, those are both from the same 30 seconds of this movie that never seems to end, but really.) A shopping joke here, a weed/food joke there, maybe a facelift joke for good measure. Women talking, women fighting, women suddenly not talking for who knows why. Maybe I just don't get it because I am a man and I don't understand women. (Hey, look, a "men don't understand women" reference, I can write movies too - well now I'm just rambling, but isn't that what this blog is for...) Debra Messing's acting is funny though, I'll give 'em that.


So, should you watch it? "No mon!" (Yes, I just wanted to do this post for that pun.)


*Laura may have a different opinion.

1 comment:

  1. If there are no men in the movie, then I don't think I would like it either. Call me old fashioned, but a little romance or rivalry between a man and a woman, makes the movie a little more enjoyable. Sometimes with certain plots, it helps make it believeable too. Whether its a western, action, drama, comedy, and yes, even a cartoon, I want both men and women in the film.

    ReplyDelete